Known more commonly as back pain, sciatica comes in many different forms and has a long list of causes. It can act up suddenly, or it can develop slowly over a long period of time. Sciatica can be a temporary or chronic condition. It can be mild, acute, or somewhere in between. It can be difficult to pinpoint the source of pain from sciatica due to the fact that the pain expressed from impinged or damaged nervous tissue can project pain into parts of the body remote from the source. The pain caused by sciatica can feel like a burning or a stabbing sensation. This can cause the patient to give misleading reports to their medical professionals. For these reasons and more, there are a number of tests that the doctors at Cahill Back & Neck Care Center in Inver Grove Heights can use to detect and diagnose sciatica.
Doctors and chiropractic professionals have several ways they can test for the source of sciatica pain. These include imaging tests such as an X-ray, MRI, CT scan, and Electromyography. These tests search for the irregular electrical activity generated by damaged nerves.
Our chiropractor will diagnose sciatica and other health problems with a thorough evaluation. The chiropractor will recommend the least invasive test first, moving to the more invasive tests as needed if the source of sciatica pain is not discovered.
Chiropractic Treatments for Sciatica
Our chiropractic professional can offer a range of effective treatments for sciatica to reduce pain, improve flexibility, and reduce the likelihood of further injury. These treatments include:
- Manual Adjustments: This therapy realigns the spinal vertebra to improve communication along the spinal column and reduce the subluxation.
- Insight Subluxation: This technique uses neuro-spinal screening to allow our chiropractor to evaluate the patient and track changes over time.
- Activator Technique: A form of adjustment using a specialized device known as an activator. It is designed to deliver an effective adjustment with minimal force.
- Strong Posture Rehabilitation: A series of back and core muscle strengthening techniques designed to develop support for the spine for better posture.
- Therapeutic Massage: Improves circulation to muscles, joints, and connective tissues for better flexibility and optimal healing.
- Kinesio Taping: The application of a therapeutic tape that strengthens weak supporting muscles.
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation: This therapy uses electric pulses to target specific muscles to activate and strengthen them.
In addition to the treatments listed above, our chiropractor may prescribe and/or provide massage therapy. This safe, effective, and enjoyable treatment is not just a spa treatment. It is an effective way to improve blood flow and promote flexibility, which is essential to full and proper healing.
Nutritional counseling and lifestyle changes are also important ways that our chiropractor can work with the patient to reduce sciatica pain and lower the risk of developing new sciatica in the future.
Find Sciatica Treatment in Inver Grove Heights
To learn more and to schedule a consultation, call Cahill Back & Neck Care Center in Inver Grove Heights at (651) 451-7222 today.